Director of Recreation and Community Services
Job DescriptionPURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to supervise the development, implementation and evaluation of comprehensive, year-round, recreation, education, and fitness programs and services that enhance the quality of life for individuals in the Shorewood School District and for the Village of Shorewood.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Maintains confidentiality and unquestionable integrity.
- Develops, implements, supervises and evaluates a comprehensive community recreation program.
- Assists the District Director of Business and Human Resource Services in the planning development and monitoring of fiscal operation and budget of Recreation and Community Services.
- Establishes Operational Expectations for the Recreation and Community Services Department.
- Coordinates facilities and programs with District staff and community agencies and organizations.
- Administer personnel procedures and policies in accordance with the District’s employee handbooks, appendices and policies.
- Markets and communicates utilizing various publications and media to promote programs and services.
- Assists in the administration of the District Facility Usage Policy and Guidelines, and facilitates the scheduling and usage of facilities for District and community.
- Plans and facilitates staff meetings and professional development activities.
- Performs personnel functions including: hire, supervise, evaluate and coach direct report staff for full time, part time and seasonal employees.
- Maintains knowledge of personnel supervision principles, labor laws and practices.
- Participates in professional development, continuing education and professional organizations.
- All other duties that may be assigned, in a manner that will meet the standards established by the Superintendent and/or the Board of Education.
Note: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
- 2 Recreation Supervisors
- 1 Fitness Center Manager
- 2 Administrative Assistants
- 4 Preschool Teachers/Assistants
- Seasonal Employees
- District Executive Cabinet
- District Administrative Council
- Recreation and Fitness Center Advisory Committees
- The departments and committees of the Shorewood School District and the Village of Shorewood
- Community agencies and organizations
QualificationsKEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to earn trust and confidence from their coworkers and be able to take personal accountability.
- Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must demonstrate strong convictions and support for the District and Department’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Ability to work positively, effectively, and ethically with the community, students, parents, and District personnel.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements as well as Board and District policies and guidelines.
- Work a flexible schedule (including evenings and weekends) to meet program needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Administration or a related field required
- Master’s Degree in Recreation or Business Administration or a related field preferred
- Maintain Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) certification through the National Parks and Recreation Association (NPRA) or be willing to obtain within 12 months of employment
- Maintain certification in First Aid and CPR with AED
- Must be able to work independently as well as within a team
- Experience in a school district setting is desirable
- 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience within a recreation or community education department
- Knowledge of Wisconsin school district finance and budget management desirable
- Knowledge of current laws and trends in community education and recreation
Salary/Salary RangeCommensurate with experience.
How to ApplyApply via WECAN (Search for Vacancy #25566)
February 28, 2018