Onalaska Park & Recreation Department
Under supervision of the Buildings Manager, an employee in this position is responsible for daily operations and management of the building events and programming, concessions operations at the Omni Center, event contracts, marketing the facility including cold calling potential vendors/building users, and performs a variety of office and event planning functions. Work is performed according to established guidelines and the verbal and written instructions of the Manager. Work is reviewed by the Manager for accuracy and adherence to established procedures but frequently no check is made of routine work.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples listed include all the duties that may be found in this position.
- Plans, organizes, implements, leads, and directs a diversified series of programs and ensures the needs of the public are being met while allowing, supporting, and encouraging new programs.
- Assists in the supervision and monitoring of accounting duties and the maintenance of accounting records, account receivables, time sheets, deposits; and counting of money from daily operations and social events in coordination with the Concession Specialist.
- Assists in the hiring, supervising, training, motivating, evaluating, disciplining, scheduling and layout of work for seasonal or part-time employees assigned to the buildings department in coordination with the Concession Specialist.
- Performs required administrative duties including: assistance with creation of a marketing plan, completion of grant applications, and daily office functions.
- Corresponds with prospective customers, during or after hours, and assesses and meets the rental needs of the customer prior and during the event; processes contracts for events and monitors renewal status; responds to general inquiries regarding event information and the rental of the building through verbal and written correspondence.
- Performs public relations to include: meeting with individuals, organizations, and the general public as well as handle customer complaints or issues related to the building or its events in accordance to department guidelines.
- Conducts and prepares correspondence to individuals, organizations, general public regarding building uses; negotiates contracts when needed with organizations and individuals for the use of the building in accordance to department guidelines.
- Assists in the development of ice and event scheduling policies and procedures; follows policies and procedures when renting ice time and events; responsible for the scheduling of ice time and events in the building and communicating the information to other building staff and Concession Specialist.
- Ensures the proper purchasing of supplies and equipment, including seeking competitive pricing when it applies, as well as ensuring the processing of payment for all purchases in coordination with the Concession Specialist.
- Performs marketing duties which include the development and implementation of a marketing plan; seeks out new methods of marketing the facility and events; conducts cold calls.
- Coordinates the recruiting, selecting, training, scheduling, supervising and evaluating the work of seasonal/part-time employees and volunteer staff to support concession operations.
- Plans, organizes, implements, and leads concession operations that meet user’s expectations. May assist in the planning, organizing, promoting, and directing of contests, tournaments, social and special events as needed or required.
- Reviews and purchases all City concession inventory according to departmental guidelines; evaluates concession purchasing trends and determines items to sell or remove from inventory based on those trends; stocks, stores, and maintains inventory levels at appropriate temperatures.
- Reviews and tracks sales from concessions including revenues, expenses, and product waste; balances cash drawers and submits funds to finance department daily in coordination with Aquatics Coordinator and Recreation Coordinator.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the concession areas, especially food preparation sites, ensuring compliance with all food regulations.
- Assesses and evaluates training needs. Develops and implements appropriate levels of training for assigned staff.
RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contributes to a cooperative working effort by demonstrating a willingness to perform other job-related work, as needed or requested. The interdependency of operations is recognized and the abilities and skills exist to do other work as needed or requested. Assistance is given to others and special projects completed as scheduled or requested
- Attends conferences and training sessions to remain current in management procedure of public facility operations.
- Interprets center services to public and participates in community meetings and organizational planning.
- May oversee facility in the absence of the Buildings Manager.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
QualificationsREQUIREMENTS OF WORK (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES):
- Knowledge of processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Knowledge of marketing and cold calling techniques for recreation programs and building events and theory of recreation services.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in verbal and written communication; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with computer programs including: Microsoft Office, accounting software, point of sale software, Internet Explorer, and scheduling software programs.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including: computers, copier, fax machine, typewriter, multi-line phone, mobile phone, calculator and cash register.
- Excellent organizational and supervisor skills; ability to work independently with little supervision; pleasant and professional phone skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to maintain good relationships with city employees and officials, staff, clients, and the general public.
- Ability to manage time well and the ability to concentrate for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and establish effective working relationships with associates, volunteers, staff and public; calmly approach and solve problems under stressful circumstances; maintain and promote harmony in the workplace; concentrate for extended periods of time; and be flexible.
- Knowledge of State and Federal mandates relating to public facilities.
- Experience in point of sales and management of concessions; requires food handling certification or ability to obtain certification within six (6) months; requires bartending licensure within 6 months of employment.
- Experience in marketing and public relations programs preferred.
TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, recreation management, marketing or other related field or combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in management of public facilities, staff management and/or multiple programs.
- Experience in event planning (i.e., trade shows, craft fairs, weddings, tournaments).
- Requires food handling certification or ability to obtain certification within six (6) months; requires bartending licensure.
- Experience in the grant writing and administration of grants.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
How to Apply
Open until filled.